Posted by the director
This notice was posted on auditionsfree.com
location: Toronto, Ontario
Category: Other Projects
Casting for independent short film – The Distance Between Us
The script was accepted as part of Freshwave program for young directos for Hong Kong Arts Development Council. Once film is produced, it will be screened at the Freshwave Film Festival at the end of September.
After the death of her mother, Jessica is forced to move from Toronto to Hong Kong and
live with her estranged father. Despite the proximity, he remains cold and distant. Jessica digs into her parents’ past and discovers a shocking secret that sheds light on the kindness of strangers.
Please submit headshot / resume to email@example.com
July 10-15, talents will be contacted for audition time / location
last week of July / first week of August (TBA)
1. Jessica, 15 – 20, female, Chinese (English / Cantonese speaking), high school student
– Jessica is a quiet, slim, introverted Chinese girl born in Hong Kong and raised in Canada. She grew up in a moderately well off and friendly Caucasian community. She is thus assimilated to Western culture, but speaks both English and Cantonese (can be with accent). She was raised in a single-parent home, and had very good relationship with her mother before her death.
2. Robert Chan, male, mid 40s, Chinese (English / Cantonese speaking)
– Robert Ming-Hong Chan is Jessica’s estranged father. He is a successful businessman who works in Hong Kong. He is fluent in both Cantonese and English. He takes pride in his work, and is honest and practical, but he is ultimately a loving family man despite appearing distant at time.
3. Nina, 15 – 20, female, Caucasian, high school student
– Nina is Jessica’s best friend. She is outgoing, athletic, levelheaded and smart, and frequently acts as Jessica’s main support. She and her parents are well liked and respected in their community.
4. Steven Sanders, male, mid 40s, Caucasian
– Steven is Nina’s father. He is a history professor at the local university. He is very sensible and intelligent, yet young at heart.
5. Jennifer Sanders, female, mid 40s, Caucasian
– Jennifer Sanders is Nina’s mother. She is an English teacher at the local high school. She is very caring, graceful and competent.
6. Mrs. Miller, female, 30s – 40s, Cauciasian
– Mrs. Miller is Jessica’s / Jessica’s mother’s lawyer. She is dedicated to her job and has a “get things done” mentality, but is empathetic towards Jessica and her situation, and thus takes special care with her case.
7. Carmen Chan, female, 8 – 12, Chinese
– Carmen Chan, female, 9, Chinese, is Robert Chan’s daughter. She is lively and high-spirited.
8. Mrs. Chan, female mid – late 30s, Chinese
– Mrs. Chan, female, 30s, Chinese, is Robert Chan’s second wife.
Job type: Paid
Casting Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org