The Gondoliers – Sierra Madre Playhouse
Location: Pasadena, CA
Sierra Madre Playhouse an Equity Theater operating under L.A. 99 Seat Plan – with an additional rehearsal stipend announces auditions for Gilbert and Sullivan’s The Gondoliers – directed by Alison E. Kalmus.
Auditions – February 6, and February 13 in Pasadena with callbacks February 17
Submissions with your Headshot and Resume through Actors Access (L.A. Casting, etc. – sites that have tech submission capability, Laurie’s List, etc.) or by emailing Gondoliers@sierramadreplayhouse.org. Questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org or (626) 840-0792 (give them the option of your email and my phone)
As a topsy-turvy London prepares for the Queen’s 1953 Coronation, screwball performers meet for a final pick-up rehearsal of the Gilbert and Sullivan classic.
The musical runs from May 16 to June 21, 2014 at the Sierra Madre Playhouse, Sierra Madre (N.E. Pasadena), California (Three performances a week; Friday and Saturday evenings with Sunday matinee. Rehearsals start March 9, 2014 evenings Monday – Thursday, and weekend days.
As this has a bit of a play-within-a-play motif, performers are playing commedia-archetypes of 1953 Britain (i.e. Marilyn Monroe-Wannabe, Miss Marple, Clueless Ingénue, Ambitious Bitch, Cockney Hustler, Befuddled Ret. Colonel, Lascivious Pantalone, etc.) echoing their Gondolier characters. Strong improvisation and physical comedic skills are a plus.
• The Duke of Plaza-Toro, A Grandee of Spain ( comedic baritone)
• Luiz, his Attendant (lyric baritone or tenor, drumming a comedic plus)
• Don Alhambra del Bolero, the Grand Inquisitor (bass-baritone)
• Marco Palmieri, Venetian Gondolier (tenor)
• Giuseppe Palmieri, Venetian Gondolier (baritone)
• Antonio, Venetian Gondolier (baritone)
• Francesco, Venetian Gondolier (tenor)
• Giorgio, Venetian Gondolier (bass)
• Annibale, Venetian Gondolier (speaking role/chorus)
• The Duchess of Plaza-Toro (baritone with fabulous falsetto and adores cross-dressing)
• Casilda, her Daughter (soprano)
• Gianetta, Contadina (soprano)
• Tessa, Contadina (mezzo-soprano)
• Fiametta, Contadina (soprano)
• Vittoria, Contadina (mezzo-soprano)
• Giulia, Contadina (mezzo-soprano or soprano)
• Inez, the King’s Foster-mother (mezzo/contralto)
• Chorus of Gondoliers and Contadine, Men-at-Arms, Heralds and Page, Dancers
PREPARE: Eighteen bars from two songs of Musical Theater or Operetta showcasing comedy, vocal legitimacy and lyricism. Be prepared to read from script. Sides will be posted at http://sierramadreplayhouse.org/playhouse/get-involved/auditions/
City or Location of call: Pasadena, CA
Please submit to: email@example.com
This casting notice was posted by: Elyse Cook