Have you always wanted to be a sports announcer?
Georgia Tech has announced open auditions for a sports announcer to cover their live games. That’s right, Georgia Tech athletics is holding open auditions for talented voices to add to its roster of public address announcers.
Candidates have the opportunity to become the public address announcer for various sports. The sports include football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, and men’s and women’s tennis.
The new announcer will be introducing the starting lineups, providing commentary on key in-game events, and delivering other important announcements during live events. Exceptional candidates will be chosen for in-person auditions, which will involve the reading of a sample game script over the in-venue public address system and engaging in discussions with members of the Georgia Tech athletics team.
Qualifications and responsibilities:
- Strong vocal ability, enunciation, enthusiasm and comfort addressing large crowds
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful, environment
- In-depth knowledge of rules for selected sports and ability to understand in-game action
- Ability to follow a script, react quickly and readily accept feedback
- Experience working as a PA announcer at the high school, collegiate or professional level is preferred
- Must be available to work nights, weekends and some holidays
- Ability to commute to Georgia Tech athletic venues
Announcers are paid and are compensated based on the number of games they work and are subject to a background check. PA announcers are renewed on an annual basis by Georgia Tech athletics.
Their application site has a number of sample scripts that the announcer will read. Here is one example…
On behalf of Georgia Tech President Dr. Angel Cabrera, Director of Athletics J Batt and Head Coach Damon Stoudamire, welcome to Cremins Court at McCamish Pavilion for tonight’s game featuring the Miami Hurricanes and your Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets!
Interested applicants must apply at buzz.gt/PA by Monday, Oct. 16.