Jakespeare theatre company annonces auditions for THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST by Oscar Wilde
Monday September 18th
Thursday September 21st
(You only need to attend one night.)
Estate of Mind
at the historic Oakhurst Manor
120 Hill Street
Whitinsville, MA 01588
About the play
The classic play is a farcical comedy in which the protagonists maintain fictitious personas to escape burdensome social obligations.
Working within the social conventions of late Victorian London, the play’s major themes are the triviality with which it treats institutions as serious as marriage, and the resulting satire of Victorian ways.
THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST
- John “Jack” Worthing, J.P., aka Ernest, 30’s, is a wealthy young gentleman who takes life seriously. He is a friend of Algernon whose behavior he sometimes deplores. Jack is Cecily’s guardian and is in love with Gwendolen Fairfax.
- Algernon Moncrieff, 30’s, is the brilliantly witty and blithely selfish nephew of Lady Bracknell and cousin to Gwendolen Fairfax. He is Jack’s best friend and is in love with Cecily Cardew.
- Gwendolen Fairfax , 20’s, is Algernon’s young, aristocratic, and charmingly superficial cousin and Lady Bracknell’s daughter. She is in love with Jack.
- Lady Bracknell , 55 +, is domineering, cunning, mercenary, and snobbish. She is Gwendolen’s mother, and she means to see her daughter well-married. A formidable woman, Lady Bracknell is used to having her own way in all ways.
- Cecily Cardew, 20’s, is a young woman given to romantic fantasies and intrigued by the wickedness of Jack’s brother. She is the simpler, more innocent country girl to Gwendolyn’s sophisticated city girl.
- Rev. Canon Chasuble, D.D. (Doctor of Divinity), 55 +, is the pleasant rector on Jack’s estate and has a crush on Miss Prism.
- Miss Prism, 50 +, is Cecily’s pedantic governess. She is somewhat puritanical, but her softer side leans toward Dr. Chasuble. She once wrote an important novel.
- Lane, 30 – 40’s, is Algernon’s manservant.
Mondays and Thursdays
Friday, December 8, at 7:00pm
Saturday, December 9, at 1:00pm & 7:00pm
(snow dates: December 15 & 16)
Actors will be asked to pay a $25 materials fee (script, costumes, props, etc)
Each actor will receive two complimentary tickets to any show.
Video tour of the site: https://www.wevideo.com/view/3154144923
Auditions by appointment only, please
To reserve your audition spot, visit: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C084EA5AE2FA0F9C70-theimportance#/
You do not need to prepare anything; auditions will consist of cold reading from the script.
Find our more information and reserve your audition spot at:
Please plan to stay the entire time.