When Harlem Saved A King Production coming to NYC
Location: New York City
From the creators of some of the most prolific urban theater productions of this decade, comes the much-anticipated theatrical production based on the documentary When Harlem Saved a King.
It’s the story very seldom told or even known by many Americans both young, and not-so-young, of the one event that almost changed the course of American history forever.
While in Harlem, NY promoting his first book, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. played by the critically acclaimed orator Stephon Ferguson was stabbed by the demented Izola Curry portrayed by LaTonya Simms from the award winning stage play Mama’s Girls.
When Harlem Saved a King will take you on an historical theatrical journey, never seen before, mixing cinema and theater together for what is sure to be an experience that will impact audiences forever. Learn of the mental struggles of Izola Curry, through the words of her brother Luther Ware, played by Broadway actor Brandon Scott- Johnson and her lover Scottie Mumphrey played by Dartez Wright. Based on her dementia, Curry thought the NAACP was after her and that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. himself would be responsible for her not being able to maintain steady employment.
When Harlem Saved a King also features 2014 Gdavis Productions Actor of the Year Javon Bell as Jessie Jackson award winning playwright and actor Garrett Davis as Andrew Young, from Mama’s Girls Kynya Milam as Bertha Irvin, sister of Izola Curry, Tim Holland from a Raisin in the Sun and introducing Cha Nel Young and Teaune Vinson.
Co-written by award winning playwright Garrett Davis and Al Cohen Jireh Management Group.
When Harlem Saved a King is set to make history with its debut, starting September 2015, which is the anniversary month of this pivotal, yet little known, history fact.
Casting the following Characters:
- Izola Ware-Curry – Black Female – stage look – 42
- Bertha Ware – Black Female – stage look – late 40’s
- Luther Ware – – Black Male – stage look – early 30’s
- Scottie Mumphrey – Black Male – stage look – early 40’s
- Dr. ML King – Black Male – stage look – 29
- Andrew Young – Black Male – stage look – 26
- Jessie Jackson – Black Male – stage look -17
- Brenda – Black Female – stage look – late 30’s
- Joyce – Black Female – stage look – late 30’s
- Al Howard – Black Male – stage look – Early 40’s
- Phil Ramano – White Male – stage look – Early 40’s
- Dr. Maynard – White Male – stage look – 57
- Plus some other roles available.
Auditions for the play wiull be held in New York City. Submissions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include, name, headshots, and links to your work
Once we receive your email we will respond with an email with breakdowns, sides and additional audition information. We are looking forward to working with you amazingly talented folks.
City or Location of call: New York City
Please submit to: email@example.com by 2015-06-15
This casting notice was posted by: Janet Cohen – Jireh Management Group