Location: Philadelphia, PA
Auditions and Interviews for The Savoy Company’s Production of Gilbert and Sullivan’s Comic Opera IOLANTHE
Savoy — a tradition of filling hearts with joy! Why not join us?
Call for leads, chorus and backstage! The Savoy Company, Philadelphia’s internationally award-winning and oldest Gilbert & Sullivan Company in the world, is looking for new members to stage Gilbert & Sullivan’s comic opera/musical comedy IOLANTHE in spring 2018.
The Savoy Company welcomes new talent! To schedule an audition and interview time with Savoy Recruitment, Admissions, & Auditions Committee, to receive audition materials/character descriptions, or to get more information, please email email@example.com. Rehearsals will begin in late January 2018.
Auditions and Interviews are by appointment only.
Sundays, January 7 & 14, 2018 from 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Thursday, January 11, 2018 from 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Philadelphia Boys Choir, 1336 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19123
Entrance will be through the center doors on Spring Garden.
Lead Auditions (Please bring a resume with you to auditions, a headshot is optional)
Music Director Peter Hilliard and Stage Director Bill Kiesling seek 11 adults (age 21 and over) for lead roles. All roles require strong vocal skills and some dance skills.
- The Lord Chancellor (comic baritone)
- George, Earl of Mountararat (baritone)
- Thomas, Earl Tolloller (tenor)
- Private Willis, of the Grenadier Guards (bass)
- Strephon, an Arcadian Shepherd (baritone)
- Queen of the Fairies (contralto)
- Iolanthe, a Fairy, Strephon’s mother (mezzo-soprano)
- Celia, a Fairy (soprano)
- Leila, a Fairy (mezzo-soprano)
- Fleta, a Fairy (speaking role/chorus)
- Phyllis, an Arcadian Shepherdess and Ward in Chancery (soprano)
Men’s Chorus: Dukes, Marquises, Earls, Viscounts, and Barons
Women’s Chorus: Fairies
If you are handy with a hammer, circular saw, glue, or needle and thread, you can help build set pieces, make costumes, and do all the important things that make the show possible. Almost all aspects of the productions are produced or managed by enthusiastic Savoyards. Members are encouraged to apply whatever talents they have to putting on the show (and maybe even discover new talents).
The Savoy Company, celebrating its 118th season, is a non-profit theater organization — all leads, chorus, and backstage personnel are volunteers.
Savoy is unique in that it performs Gilbert & Sullivan comic operas at 3 venues.
• May 18 & 19: The Suzanne Roberts Theatre, Philadelphia, PA
• June 8 & 9 (rain dates, June 11 & 12): Open Air Theatre of Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, PA
Leads, Chorus, and Backstage are required to commit to the 2 venues listed above.
• August 13*: Royal Hall, Harrogate, England ~ International Gilbert and Sullivan Festival (*Each member’s participation in the Festival will be at his/her own expense. Additional auditions at a later date may be required to fill roles if a Lead is unable to travel to the Festival.) Savoy was the first overseas society to perform at the first Festival in 1994. Savoy performed The Pirates of Penzance at the Festival in 2016 and won the award for Best Traditional Opera. Savoy will return to the 25th International Gilbert and Sullivan Festival to reclaim the award in 2018.
Since the beginning in 1901 The Savoy Company, Philadelphia’s historic Gilbert and Sullivan theatre group/social club, has staged annual ‘G&S’ performances to support local charitable organizations. It is the oldest amateur theater company in the world dedicated to the production of the 13 existing Gilbert and Sullivan operas. The Savoy Company provides creative and social outlets for its members and gives the audience the most exhilarating theatrical and cultural ‘G&S’ experience.
Famous Savoyards have included: Hollywood film star Nelson Eddy, Broadway star Wilbur Evans, Metropolitan Opera soprano Margaret Harshaw, and Wagnerian bass-baritone James Pease.
For more detailed information please go to www.joinsavoy.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment: Non Paid
City or Location of call: Philadelphia, PA
Please submit to: email@example.com by 2017-01-14
This casting notice was posted by: The Savoy Company