Location: Union, Missouri
Auditions for the upcoming East Central College Theatre’s production of the beloved Disney classic, “Beauty and the Beast,” are scheduled for Monday, Nov. 13, and Tuesday, Nov. 14, at 6:30 p.m.
The auditions will take place in the John Edson Anglin Performing Arts Center, where the Theatre Department aims to discover the perfect actors for the iconic roles of Belle, Beast, and other memorable characters.
The enchanting story will come to life in a reimagined production scheduled to run from Feb. 22-25, 2024, with tickets available for purchase starting Monday, November 20, at ecctheatre.com.
Grace Austin, ECC Theatre Director, expressed excitement about bringing the magic of “Disney’s Beauty and the Beast” back to ECC, mentioning a successful regional premiere over 15 years ago.
The casting process will involve selecting 35-45 actors aged 15 and older, along with a small group of youth actors aged 9-14. Audition selections and additional details are accessible at ecctheatre.com, with a pianist available during auditions.
Character Descriptions – Disney’s Beauty and the Beast
(please note that several of these characters can be cast with either gender)
- ENSEMBLE- – These Ensemble members all have a story- they are NOT just nameless and faceless. Ensemble members will play Villagers, Enchanted Objects, Wolves, Forest People, Angry Mob and more. This Ensemble could include a select group of younger performers ages 9-14. This group will include Featured Dancers and Featured Vocalists. We are looking for people who make STRONG choices.
- ?BELLE – Intelligent. Loving. Kind. Belle dreams of a life full of adventure and wonder. She has a vibrant imagination and is seen as odd by those around her. This Belle does not need to be rescued. This role requires onstage physical intimacy/kiss.
- BEAST – Agitated. Loner. The beast is haunted by his past mistakes. It is hard for him to form relationships and be vulnerable. This Beast needs to show personal growth throughout the show. This role requires onstage physical intimacy/kiss as well staged physical violence.
- GASTON – Gaston is the most popular person in town. He is both feared and admired and wants what he can’t have—Belle. This Gaston should show flashes of vulnerability. This role requires onstage physical intimacy/kiss as well staged physical violence.
- LEFOU – Trickster. Lefou is a master at upholding Gaston’s ego. This LeFou probably knows Gaston is in the wrong, but supports him anyway. This role could be played by either gender.
- MAURICE – Maurice devotes all his energy to loving his daughter Belle, and tinkering with his inventions. This Maurice wants Belle to have a better life than he has had.
- LUMIERE – Charming. Lumiere loves the fine things in life. He is the ultimate host and loyal to his master. This Lumiere is the leader of the enchanted character group. This role could be played by either gender.
- COGSWORTH – Uptight. Cogsworth likes everything in order and according to plan. He always trying to avoid conflict. This Cogsworth desperately wants to protect the castle and the people in it. This role could be played by either gender.
- MRS. POTTS – Mrs. Potts is always looking for a way to make those around her more comfortable and supported. This Mrs. Potts is determined to be a beacon of hope.
- CHIP – Chip is the son of Mrs. Potts. He is always looking for any sign of hope for the better. This Chip puts on a very brave face for his mother. This role could be played by either gender.
- BABETTE – Babette loves to be the center of attention—especially Lumiere’s. This Babette is fiery.
- MADAME DE LA GRANDE BOUCHE – Madame was once a famous opera singer. She is never afraid to be the life of the party. This Madame is not to be trifled with.
- MONSIEUR D’ARQUE – Sinister. Manipulative. D’Arque runs the town asylum. This D’Arque is a constant dark prescence in the town. This role could be played by either gender. Please note- in this version of the show, there is NO song for Monsieur D’Arque.
- THREE SILLY GIRLS – The popular girls in town—obsessed with Gaston. These Silly Girls know he is the way to popularity in their little town.
Monday, November 13 and Tuesday, November 14 at 6:30pm with callbacks on Thursday, November 16 at 6:30pm. No signup needed- just join us. You do NOT need to attend both audition days (but you may if you wish).
Disney’s Beauty and the Beast will rehearse 3 nights a week, 6:30-9pm with some weekend technical and dress rehearsals. Please bring a complete list of any conflicts you may have to auditions. Choreography bootcamp will be held December 15-23 with our NYC based choreographer, Chris Page-Sanders.
More Theater Auditions:
- Theater Auditions in Falmouth, MA (Cape Cod Area) for Rent
- Kentwood Players Holding Open Acting Auditions in L.A for “Once On This Island”
- Auditions for Performers in Los Angeles for Las Vegas Show “Spiegelworld’s DiscoShow”
- Open Auditions for “Bill W. and Dr. Bob” in Syracuse, NY
- Millennium Dance Complex in Nashville TN Holding Open Auditions for Little Shop of Horrors